Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Splurging

There have been few times in my life when I've had money in abundance. I think it is because those times are few that I've never been a big spender. I do recall that during those few times I could walk into a store and spend over a hundred dollars and not feel so bad. Perhaps even excited about my purchases. A time when there was justification and satisfaction in splurging to buy an expensive pair of jeans. Allow me to detour from this point for a moment to get on my soap box (after all it is my blog so I can do that. hee hee)
I find it interesting that we all go through ups and downs in life. Perhaps it is not all the same types of ups and downs but I believe that we all have them. I think that most people in life can agree that financial struggles usually play a part in many of these. This is along the lines of my blog tonight.
Upon returning from an eventful trip to the grocery store with my kids this evening; (it is rarely uneventful with three small children) I was on the phone to my cousin explaining some of my purchases. I had told her that despite the lack of money in my account I had "splurged" and bought some egg nog and some chocolate chips. It was then that she pointed out a concept to me, that we once used to use the term "splurge" to define such different things. Fortunately this wasn't one of those "poor us" discussions. We laughed and vowed to return to a place where "splurging" didn't involve grocery items.
Maybe I'll never be wealthy, maybe I will, but the fact of the matter is that I will look back on these days of little and love them. Time will fly faster than I'd like, kids will grow faster than I'd allow, and one day it'll all be behind me. I just hope and pray that I don't miss anything!

No comments: