Sunday, November 15, 2009

To Be Single Again...

There is a very big difference between dating when you're young and single and dating when you're older and have kids! I had an experience recently that made this point quite clearly. Allow me to paint a picture. I had my ex husband coming into town to spend the day with the kids and I knew I'd be able to go out on my own. This doesn't happen very often so I took the opportunity to get all dolled up. Despite the recent addition to my hips and thighs I was feeling pretty good. I had put on a nice shirt that was actually feminine and wasn't covered in yesterdays handprints, and a pair of jeans that, though tighter than they used to be, made me feel maybe even a little sexy. I wore black heels and put some curls in my long hair.
As I was out on my adventure for the day I stopped by my cousins work. She works for a clothing store and they always have the cutest fashions there. I usually feel a little out of place in my preferred jeans and tshirt style, but on this day I had a little swing in my hips again as I walked. Upon leaving the store, I could've sworn a few heads even turned in my direction. Man, I was feeling hot. I crossed the parking lot and traffic was even stopping for me (okay, so maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but you get the idea). I strode up to my sleek silver minivan, and climbed in the seat. I sat there for a moment wondering what that bizarre smell was coming from the back and made a mental note to clean out the car and headed out of the lot.
Now, I was never a beauty queen, and I think I've embraced my feminity much more these days than I used to, but really??? I recommend doing things right the first time. And if for some reason someone were to end up in my shoes... enjoy every step. Its not every day you get to laugh at your own story.

No comments: